SheLectricity is a girls' empowerment ecosystem designed with girls of color at the center that brings together technology, culture, and community to create safe and nurturing online and in-person environments for girls to learn, grow, innovate, and lead. Through interactive tools and experiences, SheLectricity girls engage in Creativity, Personal Development, STEAM-based learning, Entrepreneurship, and Network Building. Our unique, integrated online/offline service model combines the broad reach and youth orientation of a social media app with the intimacy and safety of adult-curated, place-based programs. By bringing together the best of these worlds under one curated ecosystem, we believe that SheLectricity can transform girls’ lives at scale.
SheLectricity is launching its first-ever programs in Los Angeles, Oakland, and Memphis, TN and is currently seeking youth leaders to serve on our Youth Leadership Councils (YLC) to help guide the overall vision of the content and programming.
As part of the YLC, you will:
- Participate in an initial training workshop (with pre and post work online) that is focused on:
- Shaping and providing feedback to the SheLectricity project: content and curriculum
- Team building and accesses the tools you need to work most effectively as a team
- Learning organizing skills to get out in the community, talk to other folks, and bring back feedback and support
- Organize and conduct Listening Parties with other girls in your community
- Collaborate with SheLectricity staff and partners in planning and leading sessions
- Facilitate activities and conversations with peers
- Create reports and other follow up documents
- Build and maintain relationships with key SheLectricity partners throughout the course of the school year
- Create written and visual content of your experiences and thoughts for social media
- Help us assess the program and make the changes needed for success
- Receive a monthly stipend of $150 for your leadership and participation
The ideal YLC member is:
- A cis or trans black or brown girl or young woman
- 14 - 21 years old
- Experienced as a leader, activist, organizer and/or volunteer in some kind of community service or social justice work
- Lives in or near Oakland, Los Angeles, or Memphis, is familiar with the city, and has the ability to get around town with general ease
- Believes in herself as a leader and is generally confident with her skills as a communicator
- Has a working cell phone, access to a computer, and is comfortable using technology such as social media apps and Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Hangouts, etc.)
- Has approximately 10 hours per month (or 2.5 hours a week) to dedicate to the project
- Can commit to being part of the YLC through the end of the pilot year - June 30, 2020
- Complete this online application by Monday February 18, 2019.
- Applicants who make it through to the next round will participate in an interview with SheLectricity Project Director, Lynn Johnson, via Google Hangouts some time before March 1, 2019.
- YLC members will be notified and announced by March 8, 2019.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com.